The theatre opened in 1925 as a memorial hall in memory of those who fell in the 1st World War. During the 1930’s seating was installed to accommodate audiences for the ever growing popularity of cinema and traded as “The Grand”. Our theatre is now the focal point for not only remembering the fallen of the 1st World War but also World War 2 and other conflicts. The annual Remembrance Service in November is held at the theatre.
The Assembly Rooms (formally known as the Hexagon Suite) was added to the complex during the 1970’s funded from the sale of the Frome Water Works to Bristol Water. Throughout the 1980’s and 90’s the Memorial Hall was little used and began to fall into disrepair; and the local authority planned to demolish it and build houses.
This promoted enormous public outcry. A group formed with the sole intention of saving the hall and using it as a theatre and assembly rooms for community purposes, staffed only by volunteers. The rest as they say ‘is history’ Today the enterprise goes from strength to strength, and the theatre forms part of multi purpose leisure complex, including the Frome Assembly Rooms, which is available for private hire.